18 Free Code Editors for Web Developers
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License. Notepad++ is my personal favorite as it’s light, fast and has many great features. I use it daily.
Atom is a handy small-footprint source code editor that the creators claim is “fully hackable”. This free code editor is targeted at Windows users only, but Mac users will be pleased to know there is a Mac version too. Atom is constantly updated so it is a great free code editor to get hooked on. Some of its features include:
- Built-in package manager
- Intelligent auto-complete feature.
- File system browser
- Find and replace in all open files
- Ability to split file editing into more than 1 pane.
jEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor. While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0.
This free code editor has many great features such as: syntax highlighting, text clips for simple text insertion, code folding / outlining, flexible regular expression support, code navigation using Ctags, projects for navigating large code bases, extend using Python or C++, and more.
ConTEXT is a small, fast and powerful freeware text editor, developed to serve as a secondary tool for software developers.
Editra is a multi-platform text editor with an implementation that focuses on creating an easy to use interface and features that aid in code development. Currently it supports syntax highlighting and variety of other useful features for over 60 programming languages.
BBEdit by Bare Bones Software is a powerful notepad replacement and both an HTML and text editor. Packed full of features to help everyone from office workers, journalists through to programmers and web site editors. It is only for Mac users though, so if you’re on Windows, you may want to look elsewhere.
HippoEDIT is a powerful, fast and easy to use Windows text editor, primarily targeted at power users and programmers. It has modern and lightweight user interface.
Vim is an advanced text editor that seeks to provide the power of the de-facto Unix editor ‘Vi’, with a more complete feature set.
Whether you simply need a powerful replacement for Notepad, a tool for editing your web pages, or a programming IDE, TextPad does what you want, the way you would expect.
EditPlus is a text editor, HTML editor, PHP editor, Java editor and Hex Viewer for Windows. While it can serve as a good Notepad replacement, it also offers many powerful features for Web page authors and programmers.
Source Edit is an editor especially made for developers but can of course be used as a regular text editor as well. It natively supports the following languages: ASP, PHP, Java, C/C++, C#, Visual Basic, Pascal, Perl, Cold Fusion, SQL, HTML, CSS, XML.
PSPad is a freeware programmer’s editor for Microsoft Windows operating systems. PSPad is free for commercial and government purposes too.
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You’ll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor—and more. It has content-sensitive editing modes, including syntax coloring, for a variety of file types including plain text, source code, and HTML and many other useful features.
Coda (not free)
Coda is a professional source code editor for Mac users. This program is not only fast in loading time, but also small in size. You can download it for free but they do require you to purchase a license for $99 after a while. Some of its features include:
- Touch Bar – allows you to go back and forth between edit and preview mode and in general speeds up your editing speed.
- Lightning fast – Code developers claim this code editor is four to ten times faster than others. You be the judge.
- Local indexing – Coda’s intelligent auto-complete features help you update classes and variables site-wide.
- Live CSS Override – You can modify your website’s CSS directly from Coda’s preview tab.
- Password Sync – allows you to sync all of your passwords across all of your Mac devices.
You may also like:
- 20 Free Navigation Menu CSS & Code Snippets
- 25 Best Free Animation Libraries for Web Developers
- 2,000+ Free Mobile Icons for App Developers (for iOS and Android)
- 20 Free Gesture Icon Sets for App Developers
- 20 Bootstrap Editors for Building All Browser Compatible Websites
- 20 PHP Database Code Snippets and Scripts
- 20 Material Design Cards with Demos and Code Snippets
- PSD to HTML / WordPress: Awesome Design to Code Services For Non-Coders
- LESS Compilers | 20 Resources for LESS Web Developers
- 20 Best AngularJS Tools for Web Developers
Subscribe to our RSS feed!
Popular on Web Design Dev:
- Free Wix Website Templates
- 20+ Portfolio Website Templates for Architects
- 20+ Portfolio Website Templates for Artists
- Creative Resume Templates for Web Designers
- Web Safe Fonts with CSS
- Best Free Tumblr Themes
- 20+ Free HTML Templates
- Professional Free Bootstrap Themes
- Best Shopify Themes for High Conversions
- 20+ Events Production Website Templates