Selecting a web hosting service would not seem to be a big deal. It’s just a matter of finding one that offers speed, reliability, security, and has a good backup system; and you’re good to go.
It’s not quite that simple, however.
Everyone needs hosting when setting up a website. Servers are what websites are hosted on. There are many different approaches to web hosting. These can include shared hosting, cloud hosting, dedicated server hosting and much more. Web designers and developers need hosting that are cost efficient (so there’s not a tight squeeze on their wallet, and they’re getting their money’s worth), reliable (so their website rarely has downtime) and has great customer support (so they can have all their questions answered / changes made etc).
Business owners understand the value of web content that is capable of attracting and engaging users. They also understand the need for a web presence that will capture and maintain the attention of the ever-growing number of mobile device users. What they don’t always understand, however, is the often-critical role a hosting service plays in determining the ultimate success of their websites.
When you go about selecting a hosting service, the devil is in the details. You need to do more than simply skim over a list of promises. Fortunately, of the many great companies that would like to have you as a client, a few stand head and shoulders above the rest.
So to save web designers and developers time, I have compiled a list of some of the best hosting solutions. I myself use HostGator for all my private sites, but there are many others out there that provide simply outstanding service.
HostGator are one of the worlds leading hosts in shared, reseller and dedicated hosting. Use Hostgator Coupon Code: “Retireat21” and the first month is only 1 cent!
SiteGround hosting service has been in business for 13 years, and their staff has grown from 3 to more than 400 people with global operations supported by five data centers located on three continents. Their business has never had to rely on outside investors and that helped them focus entirely on their platform and invest on what matters the most (Speed, Security, Support). All that helped them achieve a nearly perfect 99.99% Uptime server performance. Additionally, they offer developer/designer-friendly tools like staging for WordPress and Joomla, GIT integration, Automatic WordPress updates, WP-CLI, Drush, SSH, FTP and more.
Speed: SiteGround runs the latest software and speed performance technology on their servers: SSD drives, NGINX, HTTP2 and PHP7. Their platform is built on the highly elastic and stable Linux Containers and they have their own caching system – The SuperCacher, which speeds up website performance up to several times.
Security: They have their own backup systems and in-house server monitoring which not only detects current issues and fixes them immediately, but is also able to foresee future problems and to take actions to prevent them.
Support: Their support is friendly, available 24/7 with literally no hold times and is specially trained to answer questions that go beyond web hosting.
According to WordPress, SiteGround is one of the best and brightest WordPress hosting providers.
It doesn’t matter if you have a new site that has minimal traffic, or a popular business site with tons of traffic. A2 Hosting has you covered. Their services include shared hosting, ideal for a personal website or a blog; reseller hosting for hosting your own customers; VPS hosting, if you need more power than shared hosting typically provides, plus greater isolation; or dedicated hosting (both managed and unmanaged) that is particularly suited for large businesses and ultra-busy websites.
All you need to do is determine which plan best fits your needs. Whichever one you pick, it will be A2 Optimized to a configuration that will provide you with the fastest possible page load speeds, optimal performance, and rock-solid reliability (99.9% uptime commitment) and security.
A2 Hosting’s support team is always there for you 24/7 and can move your site to A2 Hosting free of charge in most instances.
WordPress VIP’s cloud hosting service is designed to meet the needs of high traffic and high-profile web publishers. Its team will work with you to prepare your site for publication. The amount of traffic your site generates. or your disk space requirements. don’t matter insofar as pricing is concerned. WordPress VIP charges a flat fee per month. WordPress VIP maintains data centers in 21 worldwide locations.
If your website outgrows your current shared hosting plan, your host will likely suggest that you move up a managed VPS service.
GlowHost has a better solution. Its Elastic Sites Platform is like a VPS service in many ways, but without the server management headaches.
You get all the resources and reliability a VPS service typically provides. Resources like RAM, CPU and I/O are dedicated.
Pagely’s web hosting service is exclusively designed with big brands and large WordPress sites in mind.
A premier hosting service, their pricing model offers competitive deals for the best technology and support available for mid to enterprise level accounts while smaller blogs or websites might look elsewhere.
If you experience large volumes of traffic or transactions and desire dedicated hosting from the pioneer of the Managed WordPress Hosting space, look no further than Pagely.
Last but not least, GoDaddy! Famous for their insane tv adverts, and crazy approach to hosting, they offer a lot of storage/bandwidth for very little cost.
Bluehost is one of the largest and most trusted web hosting services powering millions of websites.
You can create your own website and get a FREE domain name with iPage’s easy, drag-and-drop website builder tools.
They have brilliant customer support, their hosting plans are very cheap, and you get loads of storage space and bandwidth.
SoftLayer provides many different types of hosting. All of the hostings is very reliable, and the prices are a steal too!
The last hosting plan you will ever need. JustHost provide their unlimited package for only £2.95 / month at the moment. What are you waiting for!
One.com has award winning hosting solutions for everyone. Their prices are very very cheap, probably one of the cheapest hosts on the net.
Fast Hosts offer many different types of web hosting. Their prices are affordable by the average web designer, and their server speeds are fast.
One and One are the worlds number one web host. Their data center is amazing, and the security of the servers which your website will be on is insane!
123-Reg is the perfect host for web designers wanting to host a small portfolio to showcase their work. Prices start at just £1.85 / month!
UK2 offer web hosting, and dedicated servers. Prices are moderately cheap, and they have great customer support by live chat, email or phone.
This hosting company offers web hosting, virtual private servers, dedicated servers and custom servers. They have full 24 hrs a day support as well!
Useful Tips for Selecting a Web Hosting Service
- Whichever of these 5 hosting services you may choose, you’ll be getting one of the very best. You still should browse through the following helpful tips to make doubly sure you’ve made the proper choice; that of a host that will best fit your needs.
- What is the purpose of your website; what does it do; and, what are you expecting from it? Answering these questions should help you zero in on the hosting service that will provide you with the best solution.
- What do you see in the future for your website? If it’s a business or e-commerce website, and traffic and business transactions increase dramatically, you may need to scale up your hosting requirements, or even change to another hosting service. Choose the right hosting company, and any need for a change can probably be avoided.
- What are the potential host’s customer support options? If your target audience is large, and you’re experiencing heavier online sales, the faster a customer service’s response is if a problem occurs, the better.
- Gaining a general understanding of a hosting service’s offerings is seldom a problem. The question is, will the service live up to its performance and customer support claims? It’s best to check out a few reviews before signing up. Pros and cons reviews are usually preferable to testimonials, as are reviews conducted by professional software and web system reviewers.
- Never base your purchasing decision on pricing alone. The performance and service you’ll receive tend to correlate closely with the money you’ve spent.
- Reading the Terms of Service is important. It can sometimes be lengthy for legal reasons (and perhaps to discourage you from digging into the details). Pay attention to what is said about money back guarantees, or refund policies in general.
- Check out the hosting service’s backup plan. If it isn’t clearly explained, either inquire about it or look elsewhere. You won’t encounter any problems in this area with these 5 services.
- Security breaches of one kind or another seem to be becoming commonplace. Hosting services are always subject to attempted hacking, but those listed here will do an excellent job of protecting your website, and your customer data and transactional information.
Hopefully, you are by now in an excellent position to make a well-informed decision in selecting a hosting solution that will fit your needs to a T. The 5 hosting services discussed here are top of the line, but we always suggest checking out a few reviews before selecting any web product or service.